Over 1,000 cyclists from around the county and beyond, gathered at Crix in Hatfield Peverel to take part in Ride for Helen 2021, raising over £50,000 for Helen Rollason Cancer Charity!
Strict social distancing measures were adhered to to ensure riders could take part with confidence and guidelines set out by British Cycling were followed.
The annual bike ride, now in its eighth year, has become a firm favourite on the Essex cycling calendar. The Charity welcomed riders of all ages and abilities, with a choice of cycling routes; 6 miles, 15 miles, 30 miles and 65 miles. Those enjoying the beautiful countryside routes included families with small children, seasoned road cyclists and even a Unicyclist and penny farthings!
Gregory Bloyce, 9 from Maldon took part in the 6 mile route with his dad and raised £600 in sponsorship! “I really enjoyed the event but got a bit wet in the rain! Next year I hope to do the 15 mile route and I can’t wait.”
Paula, Richard and Alice Threadgold from Chelmsford completed the 30 mile ride. Paula said; “We had a brilliant day and were thoroughly impressed with the organisation and social distancing measures which had been put in place. The route was easy to follow with very little traffic so it was a most enjoyable ride.”
Helen Rollason Cancer Charity Community Fundraiser Karen Mitchell said: “What a fantastic turnout with over 1,000 supporters attending our annual Ride for Helen raising in the region of £50,000 for the charity, with almost half of the income being generated from sponsorship and more money is flooding in! This event will fund 2,000 counselling appointments or 1,000 reflexology sessions for our clients.
We’d like to thank the following local businesses and volunteers for supporting Ride for Helen;
- Bishop Nick Brewery for their well-received beers!
- Ian and Alison Twinley for allowing us to hold our event every year at Crix in Hatfield Peverel
- Tiptree (Wilkins & Sons) for sponsoring riders medals
- Group 1 Audi Essex for rider support
- Spokes Cycle Care & Repair in Chelmsford for helping with cycle checks and rider maintenance on the day
- Nature’s Choice Catering Greengrocer Ltd for bananas
- Readings Greengrocers in Braintree for bananas
- Great Braxted Farm Shop for bananas
- Eat Natural in Halstead for rider snacks
- Multitech Site Services Ltd in Great Dunmow for financial support
- Anytime Fitness Witham for providing water supplies, hosting rider warm ups and sports massage/hamstring checks on the day
- The Duke of Wellington Pub in Hatfield Peverel for providing water
- Chelmer Radio who were playing music on the day
We’d also like to thank all of our volunteer photographers; Blake Mark Productions, Dave Brillus of Pixels for Pleasure, Graham Wilson and the Bishop’s Stortford Camera Club; Diane Le Count, Sophia Spurgin, Andy Thorpe, Liz Happer, Hellie Melhuish, Nick Ambrose and Stephanie Stephenson.
And certainly not forgetting the countless Volunteers, friends and family who gave up their day to make Ride for Helen such a success. Thank you one and all!
We are now looking forward to our brand new cycling event taking place on Sunday 5th September 2021; Ride for Helen Suffolk! Our new event will offer cyclists the chance to sign up for either 65 or 35 mile routes through some of the picturesque Suffolk countryside. The Ride will start and finish at Trinity Park, Ipswich, home of the Suffolk Show.
Registration is now open for Ride for Helen Suffolk on Sunday 5th September 2021. Adult tickets from £20 each and juniors from £10 each.
You can register by visiting www.rideforhelen.co.uk or calling 01245 380719!”
Photographs for purchase will be available soon on our website.